Free School Meals
Is my child eligible for free School Meals?
You should be entitled to free school meals if you or your partner are in receipt of any of the following.
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit Run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Please note that Working Tax credit does not entitle your child to free school meals.
The next stage is to apply to Trafford. Trafford Council should look at your application within 5 days and check against a central government database which will confirm whether or not you can claim. You don't need to provide any extra information or proof.
You should re-apply each time your benefits change, stop or a new type of benefit begins.
Applying for free meals is very easy.
- Apply online here
- Complete a paper application form, print it off and drop it in at the Health and Wellbeing Centre.
- Obtain an application from your child's school
- Collect a form at any of our contact centres
Once Trafford Council have received your application, they will check the eligibility. If you meet the criterea they will inform your child's school and the school will make the necessary arrangements for the meals to begin. If Trafford need any extra information, they will contact you directly.
If you would like to contact Trafford directly, you can do so using the details below.
0161 912 3265